Elizabeth Hall (1994) relied on the 1633 Alnwick map to conclude there was no garden to the South and does not mention Speed.This view has been adopted by Compass Archaeology (2008) and appears to have guided their interpretation.This map shows a detached mansion bounded to the West, East and South, with walls which closely relate to the newly discovered boundary walls to the East and to the so called Tudor wall to the South.
They can never be seen in isolation for they are as much a part of the cultural fabric as interior decoration or music.” Visions of Arcadia, European Gardens from Renaissance to Rococo, M.
Woods, 1999, p11 From this standpoint the most likely period for the creation of the historic garden adjacent to Restoration House is pre 1607.
The parts of the house attributed to Henry Clerke (active 1607-30) and his son Sir Francis (active 1630-84), run north from the South wing and include an anachronistic Great Hall and a converted stable block.
Significantly neither of these new built sections has views back onto the earlier garden and indeed appear to have been further separated from it by a wall at the end of the 17th century.
For the current South wing of Restoration House was the North wing of the Tudor hall house, and the newer parts of the house were all built further North.
The new North wing complete with a full set of large mullion and transom windows facing North (to the river) and with two observation windows angled onto the river from the buttressing tower, was probably finished by c 1600-20.
Moreover the ogee bay window of the South wing with its angled facets would have commanded views over the area enclosed by these Speed documented walls to the East and South, thus strengthening the logic that the most lavish part of the house and the newly revealed garden are contemporary additions, with evidently, the diapered brick and flint Tudor wall as the most spectacular feature.
The only discrepancy in the Speed map is the exact location of the house and that the front of the house is further bounded by a wall to the West, rather than being tied as is now the case, discussed below.
Thus the Tudor wall to the South features in the Speed maps (c.1610), the Baker map (c1768) the Hasted map (c1790), the Sales map (1819) and all the OS maps up to (? Similarly the East wall is shown in Speed, Baker, Hasted and Sales. Likewise to plot Speed’s Survey onto the Alnwick map yields a “fuller and more realistic picture”.
Given that it is only the Alnwick map which fails to show these garden walls, yet shows walls to the distant North which appear to delineate fields rather than a garden, it is fair to agree with the Cartographic Society that “like so many historical documents these early printed maps…need to be used with a certain amount of caution…yet by plotting the additional information of Stow’s survey directly onto Agas map, a much fuller and more realistic picture of the Elizabethan city can be built up. A criticism of the Speed maps, (and one reason which may account for their past rejection?
) is that Restoration House appears to be shown closer to the City wall and Eastgate than is truly the case.